Folklore Museum of Chania Halidon 46B, Chania Town, Crete 73134 +30 28210 90816
If you want to get a glimpse into old Cretan life, this quaint little museum is worth a visit. It could use a bit more space, but it does give you an authentic impression of village life in the past. The ladies running the place, some replicating age-old needlework, complete the feeling of stepping back in time. It's in a courtyard off the main street opposite the Orthodox cathedral (the Catholic church is in the same courtyard) -- opening hours should be posted at the bottom of the stairs to alert passers-by and church attendees.
Museum of Typography Park of small industries - Building 1303, Chania, 28210 51003
Museum collection includes hard to find, cast iron printing presses and other instruments as well as tools and objects that present the development of typography from birth, in the days of Gutenberg, up to our days. Rare books and newspapers as well as our precious lithographies travel the visitor in the art of Typography.
Opening hours from July 10th to September 10th Monday to Friday 9.00-13.00 & Wednesday 18.00-21.00 - Closed on official holidays.
Maritime Museum of Crete Akti Kountourioti, Chania 73110, +30 28210 91875
The awarded Maritime Museum of Crete was opened in 1973 and has received an award for its work by the Historical and Ethnological Society. It is housed at the entrance of the Venetian fortress of Firka, which stands guard over the opening to Chania Harbor.
The two-storey building is divided into 13 units, spanning antiquity to the Battle of Crete.
The tour begins in the foyer, where the period of Venetian rule(1204-1669) is on display with models of Venetian forts and theVenetian city of Chania.
From here a corridor leads to the other four halls on the ground floor.
In the next hall, there is a display of a wide range of seashells of various sizes and colours, which come from the seabed of Greek and other seas.
Amphorae from various ancient shipwrecks are also exhibited here. Ships from the Bronze Age to Roman times are the subject of the next hall, where visitors can see the reproduction of the Minoan ship Symi, as well as a model of an Athenian trireme.
Next is the hall dedicated to shipping in Byzantine and Ottoman times, with exhibits including models of ships such as the corvette.
The other two halls contain exhibits from the Greek War of Independence of 1821 to the union of Crete with Greece, and also from the Balkan Wars (1912-13). In the large hall on the second floor, there are exhibits fromWorld War II to the present day, and of the Greekmerchant fleet.
Outstanding here are the reproductions of the cruiser Elli, the submarine Papanikolis as well as smaller merchant navy vessels, such as the Theseus and Elpis. But the most impressive exhibit is the model of the bridge of a World War II torpedo boat.
Apart from the authentic engines, tape-recorded sounds give the sense of a real torpedo boat moving across the sea.
The rest of the floor is devoted to the Battle of Crete. Here, there are models of Greek, English and New Zealand soldiers, as well as a large number of photographs.
There are also display cases containing German parachutists' equipment and other objects.
The museum also has a well-stocked library containing Greek and foreign exhibits with a nautical theme.
Its busy programme includes research objects, such as the reconstruction of the Minoan ship Minoa, by scientists from theInstitute of Research into Ancient Shipbuilding and Technology.
Chania Archaeological Museum 21, Chalidon Street, Chania, +30 28210 90334
The permanent exhibition includes objects that provide an enduring image of the cultural history of Chania from the Neolithic period through the Roman period.
The exhibition is divided widthwise into two major sections: the eastern part, with artifacts of the Late Neolithic and Bronze Age (Minoan times), and, the western part with antiquities out of Iron Age (historical times). The findings are presented both according to excavation sets and themes. The collections include Minoan finds from the city of Chania, prehistoric finds from caves, Minoan finds from various parts of the county, finds from the graves of the Geometric period, historical discoveries from the city of Chania and several other towns (such as the ancient city of Kydonia, Idramia, Aptera, Polyrinia, Kissamos, Elyros, Irtakina, Syia, Lissos, Chania, Axos, and Lappa), coins, jewelry (prehistoric and historical times), sculptures, inscriptions, columns, mosaics.
The Archaeological Museum of Chania is situated at Chalidon 21, Street close to the old harbour of Chania. It is housed in the katholikon of the Venetian monastery of St. Francis. During the period of the Turkish occupation it was the Muslim mosque of Yussuf Pasha, while in modern times it was used as a cinema (Cine "Idaion Andron") or a storehouse for military equipment. Since 1963 it has been functioning as the Archaeological Museum of the city.
Entrance fee: 2 €, reduced 1 €
Olive Tree Museum of Vouves Village Street, Vouves, 73006
The Olive Tree Museum of Vouves is located in the village of Ano Vouves, aprox. 30 km west of Chania. Take the Chania – Kissamos national road (E65) and use the Kolibari exit, in order to proceed west (to the left) towards the Village of Spilia.
Then, just follow the signs leading to Ano Vouves village and to the Olive Tree Museum of Vouves.
The aim of the Olive Tree Museum of Vouves to preserve and promote all the characteristic aspects of the life of the people of this area, as well as those of the people of Crete and Greece in general, that are connected to the olive tree. This relationship includes soil cultivation, planting, pruning, harvesting of the valuable crop, storage and transfer of the crop to the olive mills, pressing etc. The olive tree is part of our daily routine, our nutrition, our celebrations, and, of course, our athletic events, where it symbolizes glory. More generally, the olive tree is known to stand for beauty, peace, friendship and civilization.
The museum is housed in a traditional building, which maintains all the characteristics of an austere and, at the same time, authentic, intelligent and functional folk architecture of this area, the preservation of which constitutes one of the cultural objectives set by municipal authorities. The building was donated to the Municipality by the family of Panagiotis Karapatakis, who used it as its residence. Moreover, it is located in a primarily olive-producing area, in the mountainous region of this Municipality. Kolymbari olive oil is produced in this region: a famous, award-winning olive oil that is considered as one of the best in the world.
At the Olive Tree Museum of Vouves, special emphasis is placed on the preservation and promotion of tools that were used until the middle of the previous century (mid 1950's) in an uninterrupted, daily and continuous manner for many centuries or even millenniums by the people of this land and then suddenly disappeared, not only from their lives but also from their memories.
A typical example of this is the wooden plough, which is exhibited in the museum hall dedicated to cultivation and olive processing. It was used to cultivate land, from prehistoric times until the mid 1950's. It is called "Hesiod's plough", because Hesiod was the first to describe it; nowadays, its existence is remembered by very few people.
Due to the especially close and important relationship of the plough with the life of the people of this land, who have worked hard and have fought to cultivate their land so that it may bear its valuable crop as well as many other products, our Municipality tried to recover a series of various items marking the evolution of the plough, which was used in the past before it was abandoned for power-driven tractors. Such items include the classic iron plough, the single furrow and the two-furrow plough etc.
Olive Tree Museum of Vouves
Information: Katerina Karapataki
tel. +30 28240-22279 (Landline), +30 6945 157 667 (mobile)